Monday, November 7, 2011

Pleather

This is the first time I've worked with this fabric and I held my breath until this project was done -- well, mostly anyway.

I have made a lot of bags using this pattern (the original). I've made them in all sizes from coin purses to travel toiletry bags to evening clutches. But in this project I deviated a bit -- top straps, pieced front, deep boxed bottom.


Let me back up just a minute -- The reason I'm making another bag is that my mother-in-law said she would like to have one a little bigger than the one she carries. And I, jumping at the chance to get to sew something, (and thinking that this would be a good Christmas gift), decided to try something new. Hence, the pleather. Pleather is "plastic leather."  The fabric doesn't really look as cheap as it sounds -- I have seen beautiful jackets made from this fabric. You get a lot of fabric for not much money (with a coupon), and it's not so fussy to work with -- just don't stick a pin in it (permanent hole) and lengthen your stitches so you don't cut it. And you don't have to use a walking foot if you use tissue paper when you stitch on the face of the fabric.

One of the things I learned from the pattern is the covered zip ends -- nice, professional look.


 The blue houndstooth is cut from a charm square and separated by a Kona black. I interfaced the front and back pieces by sandwiching a piece of batting, cut an inch smaller around, with a piece of heavyweight, fusible interfacing, cut the same as the main pieces. I was a bit leery (some of the breath holding parts) of putting an iron to the pleather, but it worked out fine with a press cloth. With the batting applied I could "quilt" the houndstooth piecing piece by stitching on the Kona a quarter of an inch from each seam. I top stitched the pleather with a heavy weight thread above and below the pieced part to hold the seam allowance down on the wrong side. The zipper was applied with the heavy thread also.

I stitched the letters for my label on the sole pocket with my machine. The lining is a light color because I find it easier to find stuff in a bag if the lining isn't dark. Note to self: apply pocket closer to top next time. And there will be a next time because this bag is a prototype -- MIL will have black and white houndstooth on hers.

She requested a long strap. This one is long enough to be worn across the body. The strap is made from the Kona fabric as I think a fabric strap, as opposed to the slick pleather, will stay on a shoulder better. The back is unadorned and should move with the body (fabric bags sometimes "stick," as I have learned.

The bag measures 9" wide at the top, 6 3/4" tall, and 3" deep.

Try pleather -- it's the other leather.

love, Connie

Linking this post to Celebrate Color.

No comments:

Post a Comment