Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Tic Tac Toe, Three in a row

Jamie's birthday is coming up and I have been trying to think of something to sew for him. I thought I wasn't going to find a good idea until I saw this quilt on the Moda Bakeshop blog (less than a week before the date). This quilt resonated with me because this spring Jamie and his parents took a trip to Sequoia and Yosemite and we went, too. After supper at the Sequoia Lodge, Jamie and I saw a tic tac toe game on a table. Now, Jamie is too young to actually play the game, he'll be three, but he'll learn before long. He seemed fascinated by the game (maybe it was just my singsong "tic tac toe, three in a row" over and over, or maybe it was just Grandma being silly), but when I saw this quilt I thought it might be a reminder of that time together. Anyway, here is Jamie's quilt game board, complete with bag game pieces.


It measures 37" square so it is a floor game.

This is a close-up of the quilting:

I won't go on and on about it, but suffice it to say the quilting took nearly twice as long as the piecing and if I make this quilt again (for the other grandkids?) I'll probably do a stipple. With the breaks in the vertical lines for the letter blocks, I did hundreds of hand-tied knots on the back of this quilt. The backing is the same as the corner patchwork pieces and the binding. I'm glad it's done, washed and ready for Jamie.

1 comment: